Tuesday 2 June 2009

Tour de Tri

I've been meaning to post this for a while but have only just got the chance to get around to it so here goes.

This weekend is the Tour de Tri basically it's a 24 hour triathlon run in the same format as 24 hour MTB race in that you just keep going until the end or you have had enough (whichever occurs first). Some would ask why I would enter this event but there are 2 reasons. The first is my wife has decided that she will be doing the six hour Tour de Tri in a team with her friends and then volunteering for part of the event.

The second and most important reason is that I read Mark's Story. Mark is the head coach of Brisbane Triathlon Squad and I have known him since 1991. I read his story and after speaking with him he is still recovering from an event that occurred over 12 months ago and has had to have surgery to repair some of the injuries he caused to himself. Mark was one of the fittest people I have ever known for him to still be recovering says a lot to me about how hard he pushed himself for a cause he believes in.

To my mind the least I can do is participate. I have no desire to win the race just to be a part of a good cause and try and enjoy the weekend.

No comments: