Friday 13 March 2009

TRE-X Qld State Champs - 8 March


The finish and presentation area

Sunday 8 March brought with it the TRE-X (i.e off road triathlon) state champs at Slickers, Kurwongbah (just out of Brisbane). The crew from In2Adventure do a great job of running these events and the owners (Simon and Robyn Lazenby) are just awesome people who always have a smile on their face and are willing to listen. I have raced against Simon and Robyn a few times during the AR season and they always seem to be having fun no matter how long the day/race has been.

The week before had seen some serious rain around Brisbane with a Tropical Cyclone being out over the Northern parts of the state so it was a bit concerning that we were going to have another mud bath like the previous TRE-X Race. Fortunately whilst there was some water and mud throughout the course the single track was in great condition. The state champs consisted of a 1k swim 25k Mountain Bike and 10k Run.

The dam swim was uneventful other than watching my wife go past me like she had an outboard attached to her back and me wondering if I would be the last out of the water (I think I may have been as the organisers were already bringing in the swim course marker bouys as I was finishing the swim. Given it was a fresh water swim I struggle even more without the extra assistance provided by open/salt water swims.

The mountain bike course was a good mix of fire trails and single track. Coupled with a couple of decent climbs my legs knew that I had ridden some good ups. The single track was nice and I was able to pass quite a few on these sections and this probably seperates the very best (not me) and the solid off road triathletes. The bike leg also had a nice water crossing that could be hit almost at full speed so I'm hoping to get some photos from that as I was pinning it across that. The finish to the bike course wasn't much fun either as it involved riding up the side of a dam wall to transition. But hey that's what TRE-X is all about.

The run leg for me was the hardest as it involved running up 2 of the nastier climbs on the property. As it was a 2 long loop course that meant 4 good hills. The second climb was really tough as it went straight up the side of a ridge line. The burn in quads was awesome once I got to the top ;o)

The last loop of the run course was a flat one around the dam and back to the finish. It was one of the longer races I have done for a while but I had a great time. The most fun post race was had talking to mates around the finish area including Trav and Bec Hall who have recently invested in Race Elements some really great people who have some fantastic ideas about how to make a great company even better. The random prize draw is also an incentive for weekend warriors like me to see if I can pick up a prize.

I took a couple of photos with my dodgy camera phone to show the finish area and in particular the red van on the left of shot. It is one of the little mobile coffee vans and I don't think the lady stopped making drinks the whole 2 days the event was on (the Saturday had various types of mountain bike and cross country running races) and she looked even more exhausted than the competitors by the end of Sunday afternoon.

No comments: