Wednesday 11 March 2009

Luke Harrop Tri - Gold Coast March 1

Okay much to the disgust of my 'roadie' friends I have once again returned to dabbling in triathlon. I say "dabbling" as I have to fit these in with my wifes schedule, racing on the road, training to run marathons and doing the Tre-X series (and any other races/events that I think I might like to do). The Luke Harrop Tri is basically a memorial to one of Australia's developing triathletes who was tragically killed by a lady in a stolen car back in 2002. Luke was also the brother of Loretta Harrop one of Australia's greatest triathletes who you may remember getting run down in the last couple of hundred metres in the Olympics in 2004 by Kate Allen (another Australian) who was competing for Austria. A good indicator of the person that Loretta is was her first comment immediately post race when she was asked if she was disappointed in getting second and she replied that no she wasn't disappointed that she had done everything possible to win and could do no more. A great attitude. Luke was also at the time he was killed the boyfriend of Emma Snowsill (3 x World Champion and Olympic Champion) you can read all about it here.



Sun coming up over the broadwater and transition area

Anyway I'll get down off my high horse now. The race was a 750 swim 20k ride and 5 k run. As per normal I was totally smashed in the swim (note to self more swimming required) but once we were back on dry land I was in my element. The ride course is like most tri courses - totally flat. Triathletes seem to dislike hills.

Once the ride was done it was out for the run and by this stage it was incredibly hot around 34 degrees with no shade. My run was slower than I had hoped 21:20 but I had not really done any speed work for about 2 weeks due to a foot injury. It was an awesome day and also the test event for the World Age Group Championships which are happening on the same course in September.

As a side note whilst I was racking my bike in transition on the Saturday my mum and her partner Nev got talking to a couple of blokes who were sitting at the same table as them. Turns out these two fellas own and run this company. They started in custom made inline and speed/ice skates with their most famous Australian competitor being Steve Bradbury. Apparently a lot of speed skaters use cycling as their cross training and have been now getting RBC Sport to make their custom made cycling shoes for them. They are a Brisbane based company so if anyone in brisbane is looking for custom made shoes give them a call. I only know of 2 other companies that offer custom made cycling shoes being Rocket7 (in the US) and I think Biomac (in Europe) also offer the same.


A packed transition area

2 comments:

TR said...

Good work Frank.

Also Sabre for custom shoes I think?!?!? Pretty sure that is who Steve Hogg uses/used.

Unknown said...

I think that I read somewhere that Steve Bradbury is involved in the ownership of that shoe co.