Wednesday 27 May 2009

Has it really been that long since I posted last ?

Well I guess the net doesn't lie so it's been just over 2 months since I last posted. Oh well at least I personally think that's not too bad as I've been out doing other things and not sitting on my clacker in front of the keyboard.

I've been watching highlights of the Giro on Eurosports news and saw the protest by the riders about the dangerousness of the stage in Milan to the extent that they just stopped and explained to the crowd why they weren't racing.

I felt sorry for Danilo Di Luca the Maglia Rosa at the time as he was left as the race leader to attempt to explain to the crowd why they wouldn't 'race' the stage as such. Having read some reports I can understand why the riders refused to race.

However, I also saw an article from an organiser who pointed out that one of the attractions of the Giro is the sometimes unpredictable nature of the stages. Given the injuries that one rider suffered when he crashed there does need to be a balance. Whilst we can crash anytime we are riding the organisers should try to make it as safe as possible for everyone. I could understand if professionals who only have a relatively short life span at the top of the sport ask for us much safety as is reasonably achievable to ensure that they are not injured to the extent that they cannot return to the sport such as Saul Raisin. But as I said the attraction of the Giro is sometimes the nature in which the event is run i.e. never a dull moment.

I came across this article from Michael Barry of Team Highroad-Columbia. Quite an interesting read and gives it from a pro's perspective on the toughness of just one stage.

2 comments:

Neildy said...

I saw the update and came to see bling. Where's the bling?

Pete said...

2 months of no updates.......and then when there is an update we don't get to see any news of a new purchase. Not angry, just disappointed.